If a parent is interested in enrolling their child in an ATS school, the following points should be noted
BEFORE APPLYING, CONSIDER ALL POTENTIAL SCHOOLS
(See the paper on the website, under Parents: Articles, entitled “Things to Look For In Choosing a Secondary School”)
- Visit all potential schools, not just on Open Days – do not discount any based on rumour, prejudice
- Ask relevant questions
FIND OUT ALL THE COSTS FOR EACH SCHOOL
- Some schools’ fees are all inclusive, while others have ‘Add-Ons’ (travel; trips; camps; sport; equipment; laptops etc.)
- Some schools have Non-Refundable deposits, others have Desk Fees
APPLY TO EACH SCHOOL INDIVIDUALLY AND DIRECTLY
- As much contact with the schools as possible is encouraged and this starts with collecting and submitting application forms.
- The ATS office does not accept applications for schools.
EVERY SCHOOL WILL HAVE ITS OWN PARTICULAR PROCEDURES
- Ask each school for specific details of its application procedure
- Some will require interviews, others letters of recommendation, others Reports (school or Educational Psychologists).
- At Secondary level, there is a Common Entrance Assessment but individual schools may add their own means of assessment
- There is no Pass or Fail in Entrance Assessments. Marks are not issued.
APPLY TO AS MANY SCHOOLS AS DESIRABLE.
- An application does not commit a parent to that school
- It is never too early to apply
- Applications to senior schools will generally close by May of the Grade 7 year
DECIDE ON YOUR FIRST CHOICE
- At some stage, you will be asked to identify the school of your first choice.
ENSURE ALL FEES ARE HONOURED AT THE CURRENT SCHOOL
- No pupil will be accepted or considered if there is an outstanding debt to another school
SCHOLARSHIPS AND BURSARIES
- Details of what Scholarships (based on pupil’s ability) and Bursaries (based on parents’ financial situation) should be available on enquiry from each school.
- Bursaries generally are not awarded in the first year of a pupil going to a school. Scholarships should only be awarded at Grade/Form 1 and Lower 6.
- Application for Scholarships and Bursaries will be done separately
There is no perfect school
Do not ask for exemptions – take the school as it comes